It’s tradition, either at the end of the year or the beginning, to make lists and I’ve been making lists on this blog ever since I can remember. So, who am I to go against tradition? Here are my lists of best and worst for movies, TV-shows and music. Sit back, scroll ahead, and let me know if you agree or disagree with my lists.
I really need to keep track of the music I listen to, because it was pretty difficult to compile this list. Needless to say, I made it work! Also, there is no worst-list for songs because if I don’t like it, I won’t listen to it,so it would be unfair to make a list.
11. WHERE THIS FLOWER BLOOMS / GARDEN SHED / WHO DAT BOY by Tyler, The Creator
10. NOT MY EX by Jessie J
9. NOBODY by Niia ft. GoldLink
8. WILD THOUGHTS by DJ Khalid ft. Rihanna, Bryson Miller
7. GIVE ME ONE REASON by Tom & Collins
6. JIMI by Willow Smith
5. VISIONS OF GIDEON by Sufjan Stevens
4. HIM & I by G Eazy ft. Halsey
3. DAMN. / LOVE. / HUMBLE. by Kendrick Lamar
2. LOSIN CONTROL by Russ
1. MEET ME IN THE HALLWAY / TWO GHOSTS / WOMAN / FROM THE DINING TABLE by Harry Styles
I felt a little weird making this list but I had to add the shows that were disappointing to me this year. Two of them I saw, one of them I couldn’t get past the first episode.
3. MANHUNT: UNABOMBER / Great plot, poorly executed.
2. GLOW / Unlikable protagonist
1. LUKE CAGE / Boring, not worth my time
Here we go, a wonderful list of shows I enjoyed this year. Most of them are Netflix ones, but there’s no shame in that, Netflix does good shows.
10. SHADOWHUNTERS / It’s so bad, please don’t watch it, but I can’t stop
9. LIMITLESS / Fun time travel show
8. THE OA / It was either this or 13 Reasons Why, but I’m much more thrilled for OA’s season 2
7. CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND / I finally watched it and I’m so glad I did
6. BIG MOUTH / Animation done raunchy and educational
5. STRANGER THINGS 2 / A bit shaky, ep 7 was pointless, but still great
4. OZARK / Great, Jason Bateman is amazing
3. DARK / Wonderful mind-fuck and I loved every minute
2. MINHUNTER / I love crime based shows
1. THE PUNISHER / Should I even explain?
Considering how easy it was for me to make this list I actually feel a little sad about my cinematic experiences this year. I saw so many shitty movies this year.
12. KING ARTHUR: LEGEND OF THE SWORD / Guy Ritchie disappoints
11. A BAD MOMS CHRISTMAS / Awful, why did it even get a sequel?
10. VALERIAN AND THE CITY OF A THOUSAND PLANETS / They looked like siblings
9. FIFTY SHADES DARKER / Funny but such a ugly movie
8. POWER RANGERS / Why was it even made?
7. GHOST IN THE SHELL / Pretty but not worth it
6. BAYWATCH / A lot of nonsense
5. THE HOUSE / Waste of my time
4. CHiPS / Another failure of a comedy
3. xXx: THE RETURN OF XANDER CAGE / Awful, pointless
2. THE SNOWMAN / Horrible, no redeeming quality
1. SNATCHED / Worst thing I’ve ever seen in my life
A little harder, but equally thrilling, was to compile the best movies list this year. I saw some real good ones, and most of them at the end of the year.
11. THE BIG SICK / Unique and special
10. THOR: RAGNAROK / Best Thor movie to date
9. IT / Fun and scary, perfect combo
8. THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI / Good, but ending was off
7. LADY BIRD / Angsty teens are hard to get as right
6. DUNKIRK / Quietly loud and brilliantly shot
5. GET OUT / Unique and a great idea delivered perfectly
4. WONDER WOMAN / Great all around, the villain was weak
3. WIND RIVER / Simple and hard hitting
2. LOGAN / Emotionally crippling and special
1. CALL ME BY YOUR NAME / Broke me to pieces
There you have it! My best and worst book list will be up on Friday!0
Pingback: Thursday Movie Picks: Once Was Enough (Movies You Don’t Want to Watch Again) – METTEL RAY
Pingback: CB: Rewind << January & Monthly Awards – METTEL RAY
Pingback: January 2018 Favourites | FILM GRIMOIRE
Wow I don’t know any of the songs you mentioned. As for the TV shows, I liked Luke Cage although it wasn’t as good as other Netflix/Marvel shows. I’ve seen only some of your worst movies but they’ll definitely end up on my worst list too. It was disappointing and Call Me by Your Name, I liked it but it won’t make it to my top 10.
Any of them!? How can that be? 😀
I’m not surprised CMBYN isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. I feel like most of my yearly favourites are either loved, or hater, and it’s alright. I’m going to have a hard time writing my review though, I don’t want to sound gushy just because but I really want to gush too. 😀
We have a lot of matches on our Best List (or at least what’s functioning as mine until I see about 4 more movies)
Oooh, that’s great! Can’t wait to see your list! 🙂
Fun lists. We share a whopping TWO on our Best Movies lists but I really love both (Wonder Woman and Dunkirk). As far as worst movies, the only one you mention that I KINDA like is King Arthur. That thing is ridiculously gonzo which kinda worked for me. Not great though.
Thanks! Two is like a pretty good percentage, right? 😀
I don’t like it because Ritchie CAN DO SO MUCH BETTER! Sure, there are moments when you forget that it’s a bad movie, but it doesn’t justify the fact that Ritchie started off with great scripts and amazing directing.. and now he has just lost himself in mush.
Valid point on Ritchie. He’s shown he can do better. He does seem to be in some sort of cinematic lethargy.
I really liked the latest Thor too, have you seen / what did you think of The Last Jedi?
Your top films look very promising, I’m gonna add them all to my list & see what happens. . . 😀
And god I love your design, I know I said it already but it’s so funky! So fresh!
Yes, really good debut album imo! 😀
I did not like The Last Jedi..,.. (hides in the corner)
Thank you for the “design”, it hardly feels like a design though, haha.
Okay, you’ve convinced me to see Call Me By Your Name despite reports stating it was a bore…aka Margaret. It just seemed off-putting and super pretentious (unlike Moonlight), but I’ll give it a shot. Great post!! I loved your brevity with each choice!
Now don’t come back here to blame me if it did end up boring to you.. I feel like I’m not in the minority of bloggers who actually like this movie, and it’s fine by me. I appreciate any representation of gay/bisexual characters, especially in main roles, so that already boosts this movie in my eyes. I will try to get to my review soon, we’ll see how my thoughts reflect on paper.
Fifty Shades Darker isn’t just ugly but really fucking stupid.
That’s why it’s fun to trash-review it!
I know. I can’t believe some multiplexes are having a Fifty Shades marathon for the release of the new film. Ugh….
Great lists! Harry Styles was one of my favorites this year too. I use YouTube a lot to listen to music and make playlists, if you’re looking for somewhere to track your songs. Poor Luke Cage, but I can see why it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. The Punisher is A+++ OBVIOUSLY. 😀
Yay, for Styles being not only my favourite! 😀
You know, I have changed my phone this year so that’s probably why Spotify wasn’t able to have enough data for my playlist, though maybe I don’t listen to it enough to have a lot of data. 😀
I don’t watch enough TV shows to make lists, but I loved Stranger Things 2, hated The House, think Three Billboards..and its ending is perfect, and you’re movie list is strong. Good year I think!
It did end up being a pretty decent movie year, though I saw more mediocre films than good ones, it was still pretty difficult to rated the best ones!
Yeah well you will not enjoy CMBYN part of today’s RF 🙂 But lovely to see Logan, Wind River and The Punisher love 🙂 No way in hell I’m ever watching Snatched 😛
I’m fine, I’m used to read bad comments on movies that I love. I have tough skin! 😀
Don’t watch Snatched, I mean, I suffered enough for both of us!
OMG, I CANNOT wait for the second season of the OA! It was one of those shows that just completely surprised me but in all the best ways possible! I am so glad they got more seasons.
It was a surprise indeed! I’m looking forward to the new season as well!
Love Damn. What a strong and fearless album. Holy shit, I had no idea Snatched was THAT bad. Worst ever?! That sounds like torture.
So happy Wind River cracked your Top 3. I wish more people saw, and were talking about, that movie.
Snatched was.. I have no words.
I was just typing its review when you commented! I guess I’m talking about it, but a bit too late. I’m disappointed in myself I didn’t see it on the big screen when I had the chance.